Merritt Fire Rescue Department responding to chimney fire this morning.
Cpt Sky McKeown says crews were called to a home on Panorama Dr shortly after 7am.
"When we arrived on scene, the homeowner had pretty much extinguished the fire. We then had crews use thermal imaging to check the walls and roof area around the chimney to ensure the fire had not spread to anywhere else in the home."
McKeown says the fire serves as a reminder that chimney's need to be cleaned out, and inspected at least once a year.
"If an insurance company hears you haven't passed an inspection, they may, or may not cover you in the event of a fire."
The Merritt Fire Rescue Department does not clean or inspect chimneys, but McKeown says there are a couple companies locally that offer the service.